6.29.2010

June 29, 2010

The early part of the day was normal. Normal as in nothing-special-had-happened normal. I just got to my classes and did what I needed to do: listen; take down notes; and even talk about group works.

The morning had passed with nothing much to reveal, but my day got more interesting as the sun flew from 90 degrees from the horizon - afternoon. I had it all in my mind, i had everything planned. I placed a check list - imaginary - lying on my mind, giving me instructions on what to do next. I passed a photocopy of my Form 5 for the registration for our department varsity. Yes, i couldn't believe that i passed their standards to get through. I had it in my mind that college varsity was like a court filled with skilled players, and I can't believe that I got through.

Our next class was PE, located near Melchor Hall, the building where we were at that moment. It was about 15 minutes before the clock struck 2pm (PE time). We took the Toki jeep - it would take us farther than taking an Ikot route which would take us there in a couple of minutes - to go to the Gymnasium. Gymnasium, the most isolated place in UP. I'm exaggerating, but it's actually far from the common buildings in the campus. As we rode the jeep, the clock kept ticking. The clock didn't wait for anyone, even us. It kept ticking and ticking. Unnoticeable, the clock already hit 2pm and we're seconds late. It took us about a minute to get there and we took off, running with our hearts beating as fast as our legs would hit the ground. I just got in time, my name wasn't called but my friend, didn't make it. She was already late.

After an hour of exhaustion from all the dancing we did in PE, we rushed off to take care of some things. She got a xerox copy of their readings. After that, my day shifted into a solo flight of loneliness and boredom. I went to the Melchor hall, with high hopes of finding someone I could hang out with. I even sent text messages to my blockmates and friends who might be available at that time. Luck wasn't on my side. Everyone was busy. I literally failed. Along with my failure of finding someone, came the unchanging - the weird pattern of the weather. It would rain, then stop, then rain, then stop. It was a full cycle. But that didn't bother me. What was in my mind, I couldn't remember but all I knew was that I need to do something for like an hour. The training for the Engineering Varsity would start at 6pm, but we would rather go there at 5pm. Well it's better early than late. So I took a seat from the steps of the odd wing of Melchor Hall, near the main stairs. I sat there, doing nothing else except reading Hush Hush. Time finally flew by and it's finally time for Eng'g Varsity Training.

My heart was a blender, filled with mixed emotions. I was calm, confident to be exact. At the same time, I was really nervous. I met a few interesting people there. Interesting enough to make me not left out. I felt at home with their presence. I felt at ease. The training started. First came the jogging, then the warm-ups. After that, the drills. That's the most interesting part. The drills were extremely intense, that I didn't know at that time if I still have enough energy for more after all my energy was emptied during PE. I didn't stop. Nothing stopped me. I just continued on, fighting my crave of rest and tried to cope with everybody else. I would dive and let the concrete scratch the sides of my hips and even my legs. I would dive, exposing the once clean sheets of my jersey to the dust from our shoes left on the concrete. Everything was tiring, but it was FUN.

The clock struck 8pm, and I knew for the minute that my dad has been looking for me. I grabbed my cell phone, and yes. I was right. 1 missed call and a message. He asked me my location at the moment. I bid farewell to my new-found friends and headed home. Along the way of Katipunan Ave., I, with earphones stably stuck on my ears, walked past this lady. A lady wearing a duster, its color, I couldn't remember. She was standing there looking at the people passing by, carrying her child on her chest. The child lied on her mom's shoulder, eyes shut, deeply asleep. As I walked by, she was like "excuse me". But i kept on going. I didn't have time to look over my shoulder but I could hear her even with the earphones. I could hear her go "boy". She was calling me. My conscience was split by two. Two opposing forces. Two opposing side. I didn't know if what I did was wrong. I knew that she would for money. I would reply I have none. I would lie. But still, would the money that I would have given her, really help her? Would it really help her child? I didn't know. My mind was only focused on getting home..

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment