5.08.2008

Volleyball

Volleyball is a sport invented by William Morgan. He called it Volleyball because the players need to volley the over and over. The court is 18 meters long and 9 meters wide.

Each team consists of six players. To get play started, a team is chosen to serve by coin toss. A player from the serving team (the server) throws the ball into the air and attempts to hit the ball so it passes over the net on a course such that it will land in the opposing team's court (the serve). The opposing team must use a combination of no more than three contacts with the volleyball to return the ball to the opponent's side of the net. These contacts usually consist first of the bump or pass so that the ball's trajectory is aimed towards the player designated as the setter; second of the set (usually an over-hand pass using wrists to push finger-tips at the ball) by the setter so that the ball's trajectory is aimed towards a spot where one of the players designated as an attacker can hit it, and third by the attacker who spikes (jumping, raising one arm above the head and hitting the ball so it will move quickly down to the ground on the opponent's court) to return the ball over the net. The team with possession of the ball that is trying to attack the ball as described is said to be on offense.


The team on defense attempts to prevent the attacker from directing the ball into their court: players at the net jump and reach above the top (and if possible, across the plane) of the net in order to block the attacked ball. If the ball is hit around, above, or through the block, the defensive players arranged in the rest of the court attempt to control the ball with a dig (usually a fore-arm pass of a hard-driven ball). After a successful dig, the team transitions to offense.

The game continues in this manner, rallying back and forth, until the ball touches the court within the boundaries or until an error is made.

There are positions in volleyball like setter (the one who sets the ball for the spiker to hit it), spiker (the one hitting the ball after it was set by the setter), blocker (the one who blocks the ball after the opposing team hits the ball), libero (specialized in defense. Responsible for the team's defense).

I was first interested in joing the Soccer Varsity but thought "What if I try something new?". I entered the volleyball varsity. I made it. My coach said I have potential for I can handle the ball and control where it goes. My coach assigned me as a setter for a season.

It was fun being the setter because your the one who is carrying the team. Your decision affects the team. It is also tiring because you need to be fast in getting the ball after it touches or has been passed by a teammate. We are all starters so we only won 1 game. Unfortunately, that game we won is by default! Haha!

Time for another year. I have been specializing in defense. I don't know why. Maybe because I have the greatest defense skill among my team. My coach assigned me as a libero from now on. I participated in many games especially during the Boscolympics. We won all the games during the preliminaries but we lost during the finals. It was a sad moment but it was ok. I learned something from the finals. I need to be more confident.

After that event. My coach assigned me as an all-around player. My position in the game depends on the situation.

Volleyball is a fun game! It looks easy but it's not. A player needs training for him to master it.


No comments:

Post a Comment