8.22.2012

City in a Bottle: Chapter One


It was a sunny morning in Folkswood. The grass at our front yard glistened, sparkling as dew coated their green tender skin. Mr. Roberts, wearing his Tuesday robe and green fuzzy slippers, walked by with Mr. Chuckles – his white terrier. He stopped by our mailbox and gave me a smile.  The wrinkles on his forehead showed his everyday worries and struggles as a working single parent – the father of my best friend,  Chris, - and his dark lips showed his addiction to smoking. I smiled back. Mr. Chuckles said hi with three loud barks as they finally went on their daily route. As I watch Mr. Roberts go smaller and smaller as he continued to go his way, I began to think how it was like to be a working single parent. How did he cope with his job while he juggled it with taking care of Chris and Mr. Chuckles. Did he ever consider remarrying? How about my dad? Was it hard for him to take care of me while mom was away working in another country? I guess I was too young to understand, and I still have school to worry about.

“Yo,” Chris greeted as he walked by towards our porch. He was wearing a black baseball cap, a black polo with white V-neck shirt underneath, his favorite baggy pants, and white sneakers. He sat beside me. Chris always had this skaterboy exterior but inside, he’s an organized A-lister-slash-social-worker. He would always finish our project ahead of time, have one-o-o’s in quizzes, and would always be there to fix a fight in class. I didn’t even know why we were best friends until now. We’re the exact opposite. But I guess knowing each other almost since birth got the biggest portion of the pie.

The bus finally arrived. Chris and I went on board. The bus was filled with rusty smell, wrestling with the colognes of the girls. Riding the bus for years now had made me immune. If someone else went on board, he’d be falling unconscious within minutes.

“Hi,” said Jim, “Marlon,” continued Jam. The twins were sitting on the right front seat. They were wearing the same clothes, orange for Jam and green for Jim. They had been taking the same seats since they started going to our school. "Hi Chris," they greeted.

In the second row, right behind The Twins, were The Nerds – Ned and Jasper. Ned was wearing his traditional side-swept hairdo that got stiff like cement thanks to his gel. He sported a green and black striped sweater vest and a white shirt underneath it. Jasper on the other hand was the thick-framed-glasses-wearing-guy with a coconut hairdo that preferred a simple getup – plain colored shirt plus pants. They never really talked that much. They just stared at us as we entered.

Opposite them were the pretty girls. Those girls had names of Carla and Sarah. Sarah was the pigtailed dancer girl who loved wearing pink. Speaking of pink, she was wearing a magenta jacket, a white shirt underneath, and a bubblegum pink skirt that fell inches above her knees. Carla was the prettiest among them all. Walking the campuses with her golden locks, she was sure to get the guys’ attention. Along with her red leather jacket, black tank top, and her white short shorts, I couldn’t dare to stare. That was their seats after The Goth Kid suddenly materialized and decided to go into our school. They were supposed to be seated second to the last row. But now, no one dared to take those seats.

Goth Kid, Jacob, sat in the middle of the last row of seats in the bus. He was wearing a black leather jacket, a fishnet top, and black baggy pants that came along with black combat boots. Tough exterior. No one dared sit near him.

We sat right behind Carla and Sarah.

“Hi there sweet cheeks,” Chris greeted as he pulled Sarah’s pigtails, “you too, sugar,” he greeted Carla.

“Ow! Jerk!” shouted Sarah.

Carla giggled, “hi.”
~xxxx~

The bell rang. It was finally time for English – last class for today, I thought. Ms. Heather walked in strutting her black stilettos – well, just making noise with it – as she dragged her bag along with her. She took a seat. She looked at the door and probably signaled someone to come in. The janitor went in, carrying a box. He placed it right on top of Ms. Heather’s desk and continued his way outside as he crumpled his rags.

“Homework,” Ms. Heather began. Aww’s and sighs thundered from all direction in the room. “One will get an item randomly from this box and he or she will be assigned to do an essay about it,” she continued, “It’s more of like a show and tell, but this time, I don’t want you to do the telling, I want your pens to do that for you. I want it all in paper. To be submitted tomorrow,”

“First up, Chris,” she announced, “please come to get your item.” She began to explore the box with her hand and after a couple of seconds she brought it up and gave Chris a – an eraser! What the - ? I thought. Seriously? An eraser? What am I supposed to write about an eraser asides from that it erases the mistakes I make in my life?

“Next, Carla.” Carla got a tambourine. That’s great – well better than a freaking eraser. I’d be able to write: It makes sounds every time I shake it. YAAAAAY. Or: It makes lovely sounds that send me straight into a nightmare. Great, nothing’s good in that box. I knew it. What would I get? No.. Please don’t be lipstick.

“Next, Marlon.” Shit, I’m next. I stood up quickly and walked towards Ms. Heather. She began digging up her box and it got me scared. What would I get? What would I get? Please be something interesting. Ms. Heather smiled at me. She gave me this bottle, filled with sand. Well, better than an eraser and a tambourine. Right? I sat down, and stared at it for long. I didn’t know what to write about it. Nothing exciting about it either.

After everyone had their items, Ms. Heather stood up. “We won’t have a topic for today so I’m going to give this time for you guys to start working on your homework if you like to.” Really? I don’t feel like it. I looked around to see everyone’s head bent down, concentrating on their pen and paper. They’re starting on their homework, but I’d better leave it be until later at home.

I gave another good look at the bottle. It was all sand in there, and – and ants. Okay, ants in a bottle. What’s to write about it?


Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment