8.27.2012

The Loved Ones (2009)

The Loved Ones (2009)

Director: Sean Bryne
Writer: Sean Bryne
Cast: Xavier Samuel, Robin Mcleavy, Victoria Thaine

Genre: Crime/Horror/Drama/Thriller
Run time: 84 minutes



SPOILER!! SPOILER!!

At first glance, my first thoughts were that it would be a horror movie where this psycho girl who got bullied will plan on having her revenge during prom. I was partly right though.

The movie opened with a typical almost-running-over-a-mysterious-figure-and-gets-themselves-hitting-a-tree. Well this is a very important part of the movie - the scene that got to define our main character, a kid who got traumatized after killing his father. The movie then makes the audience see the drastic possible changes in their family. The first noticeable one was the mother - cheekbones exposed, cheeks dented, well for short: stressed. The incident had a huge impact on the family.

Then a weird girl got introduced. She tried to ask our hero if he would like to go to the dance with her, but then he had to refuse since he was already planning to go with his girlfriend. Then here comes an early sex scene. At first I didn't know the importance of it if it will only define their relationship, but right after, it was revealed that this weird girl - okay, she got a name: LOLA - was standing there watching them do it, without them even knowing. WEIRD! CREEPY!

I'm not gonna spoil  everything, but i'll spoil you the most interesting scenes for me. LOL. After our hero got abducted, the movie reveals the house of Lola's family. There were tons and tons of Barbie and Ken dolls placed on top of each other (different sex positions).

This girl has got to get laid!

Then when I thought the whole killing thing was gonna happen in the prom, well it doesn't. Lola brought the prom to her house with her forced-and-tied prom partner - our hero, Brent. She showed her photo album, where it got creepier as she had previous victims. She couldn't get the boys, so she would have to make a way - with force. Her supposed mom - "bright eyes" - has this weird-looking wound on her forehead which at first I thought was a gun shot wound. But then again I was wrong. Drilled. Yes, she did it with a drill and spilled hot water on the hole to make her previous victims zombie-like. Then she carved a heart on their chests. Yep, Robin did a fantastic job. As the movie went farther, the more I wanted to kill her myself. It was really believable. Three snaps for her! And then this weird hole or dungeon got introduced where there was growling. I don't wanna assume this time because I know I would definitely be wrong again. Down there were her previous victims whom she left there to starve and eat raw animals.

Just someone kill her!

I loved how she was portrayed, and I loved the plot except for the Best friend and Goth girl's scenes. I didn't even know the point of having them there. They didn't do anything but to hook up and have sex in the car during prom. They didn't even do something to help our hero.

Bottom line: I loved the movie, it was so worth watching. I believe the movie would stand alone let the best friend and goth girl's scenes be cut. The makeup was good, the acting was great, and the plot was good. 8/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment